Please Note: To protect your health and safety due to the Covid-19 Virus, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. Thank you.

Call Today For A Consultation

Dealing with a parental kidnapping case

On Behalf of | Aug 3, 2017 | Child Custody

A Maryland parent can be accused of kidnapping a child if he or she absconds with a child when the other parent has custody. While these cases can be complex and difficult to deal with on many levels, parents who have had a child abducted can rely on law enforcement agencies.

Law enforcement officials usually try to not become involved in family issues. When it comes to kidnapping or domestic violence, however, state and federal agencies likely will. Although it is usually best for parents to let the authorities deal with parental kidnapping incident, they can hire their own private investigators to help. It should be noted, however, that the parent hiring the private investigator will be responsible for the costs.

International parental abduction cases can be even more complex due to differences in the countries’ laws. If the parent flees to a country that has signed an international treaty, however, law enforcement agencies in both countries may be able to work together to get the child home. For example, law enforcement agents in countries that have signed the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction may have the legal authority to find kidnapped children and hold the parent responsible.

While it is often in the best interest of the children for both parents to have parenting time with them, some parents do not like having to share custody and may try to withhold the children as a result. If a parent refuses to hand over the children when the other parent has custody, a family law attorney could go to court to resolve the dispute. If this is a recurring situation or it is feared that the other parent may kidnap the children, the attorney may request a modification to the child custody order.

FindLaw Network