Please Note: To protect your health and safety due to the Covid-19 Virus, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. Thank you.

Call Today For A Consultation

The IRS could seize refunds for back child support

On Behalf of | Feb 10, 2022 | Child Support

Millions of taxpayers anxiously await the receipt of their refunds. Persons caught up in audits and those who owe back taxes might not receive their checks because the funds cover past or new assessments. Maryland taxpayers might not have any issues with the IRS directly, but they may discover the agency kept a refund to cover back child support obligations.

Refunds paying for past-due child support

Child support may help the custodial parent pay for a child’s essential expenses, including food, medical, and educational costs. The parent obligated to pay child support might fall behind for unavoidable reasons, such as a job loss. Others could become irresponsible and not make payments on time, if at all. Seizing a tax refund reflects one way government agencies help the child and custodial parent.

The IRS is not the entity that initiates the claim on the funds. The state agency that oversees child support matters might notify the IRS of the debt, leading to the IRS potentially offsetting the refund.

Taxpayers have rights in the matter, and the IRS will send a notice about the offset. Those disagreeing with the refund seizure might contest the action.

Avoiding problems with child support payments

Anyone struggling with making child support payments could look into options to modify the amount. Someone suffering from financial hardships may ask the court to lower the amount. Of course, the court will expect proof of hardships to issue a modification order.

Not addressing the problem and choosing to skip payments could lead to legal troubles. Besides tax refund seizures and wage garnishments, a delinquent parent might face arrest. So, taking responsible steps to deal with child support troubles may be the better plan.

FindLaw Network