Please Note: To protect your health and safety due to the Covid-19 Virus, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. Thank you.

Call Today For A Consultation

Don’t give kids false hope if you intend to divorce

On Behalf of | Mar 1, 2019 | Divorce

Parenting when you and your spouse are separated or estranged is sometimes difficult. Your children may struggle due to the new conditions of the relationships, and you may have difficulties when communicating with your spouse.

If you and your spouse reach the point of a separation and intend to divorce, the essential thing to do is to set up custody arrangements. You and your estranged spouse need to be on equal terms so that you can help your child through this difficult time without having conflicts.

How can you help your child during a separation?

The first thing to do is to make sure you or your spouse don’t give your child false hope. If you intend to separate to divorce, then that needs to be clear. Talk about divorce in an age-appropriate manner, so your child knows what to expect.

The next thing to do is to remember that your child is mourning. Even though these changes might seem minor in the scope of everything that’s happening, your child may be having trouble adjusting. Be ready to listen if they are sad, angry or frustrated. Talk to them about what to expect so that they aren’t surprised by changes in their routine.

Our site has more on handling your divorce, child custody issues and problems you may come across throughout the divorce process. With the right help and support, you and your child or children can get through this difficult time and move on to a different situation that suits everyone in the family better than in the past.

FindLaw Network